Friday 7 June 2013

Punography

A pun is a play on words.

It is exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings.


One area of language that remains divisive is the practice of punning, in this regard people fall into one of two opposing camps:
> they either appreciate puns as a sign of intelligence and wit
> or dismiss all puns - good and bad alike - as juvenile, foolish, or the the lowest form of humor.

Puns have long been used by comedy writers, such as William Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, and George Carlin. The Roman playwright Plautus is famous for his tendency to make up and change the meaning of words to create puns in Latin.

Source: wikipedia

Plautus 254–184 BC

In news of the truly weird, there is a "disease" that causes people to make puns, compulsively joke, and engage in "wacky" behavior. And you don't want it for more than just social reasons.

Witzelsucht is a mental disorder that causes the sufferer to compulsively make inappropriate jokes or puns — all the time. The condition is generally a result of a stroke in (or an injury to) the orbitofrontal region on the right side of the brain
Source

Professor Gerian identifies three basic responses to puns -- and their underlying personality types:

> No acknowledgement, or a nonverbal dismissal, like a shrug, indicates an extremely rigid person who thinks along straight lines and is very literal. This personality type has no imagination, minimal verbal and creative abilities, and may actually fail to understand the pun because of limited linguistic skill.

>  A groan or verbal dismissal indicates a more flexible personality type with more advanced verbal skills who wants to think non-linearly, but has a hard time doing so. This personality type tends to be insecure and un-giving, and extremely fearful of change.

>  A broad grin, a hardy laugh, or positive verbal acknowledgement is a highly reliable indicator of top-notch verbal and creative skills, and an ability to look at things from more than one perspective. This personality type is secure, generous, highly innovative, able to admire the punster's linguistic ability -- and capable of responding in kind.




                                          **********************************



I tried to catch some Fog. I mist.

When chemists die, they barium.
[Barium is a chemical element with symbol Ba and atomic number 56]

Old mathematicians never die; they just lose some of their functions.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

A soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.

I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.

How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Than it dawned on me.

This girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club, but I'd never met herbivore.

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.

I did a theatrical performance about puns . It was a play on words.

They told me I had type A blood, but it was a Type- O.

PMS jokes aren't funny, period.

Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.

Class trip to the Coca-Cola factory. I hope there's no pop quiz.

Energizer bunny arrested. Charged with battery.

I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.

When you get a bladder infection, urine trouble.

What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Broken pencils are pointless.

What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.

England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.

I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.

I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.

All the toilets in New York 's police stations have been stolen. Police have nothing to go on.

I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.

Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.

Velcro - what a rip off!

Cartoonist found dead in home. Details are sketchy.

Venison for dinner? Oh deer!

Earthquake in Washington obviously government's fault.

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Be kind to your dentist. He has fillings, too.

What do you call a Catholic service that is very very important?
Critical Mass

Noah was the best businessman in the Bible.
He floated his stock while everybody else was being liquidated.



A neutron walks into a bar and asks for a beer.
The bartender promptly serves up a beer.
"How much will that be?" asks the neutron.
"For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge"

Two atoms talking to each other.
One says: "Oh, no! I think I'm an ion!"
The other responds, "Are you sure?!?"
"Yes, I'm positive!"




No comments:

Post a Comment